Secret Department of Justice plans to arrest Derek Chauvin in court had he been cleared of murdering George Floyd have been revealed.
Multiple sources told the Star Tribune federal prosecutors were ready to move in and charge the white ex-cop on federal counts moments after a not guilty verdict on charges of second and third-degree murder, as well as manslaughter, or in the event of a mistrial.
Department of Justice prosecutors now also plan to bring civil rights violations charges - akin to hate crimes - of police brutality against Chauvin and the three other cops on duty with him when Floyd was killed in May 2020.
Their secret plot saw DOJ investigators collaborate with their state counterparts at Minnesota US Attorney's Office to arrange to charge Chauvin by a process called criminal complaint which does not require a grand jury and would have sped up the process of bringing fresh charges against the former policeman amid fears a not guilty verdict would have prompted fresh riots.
Ultimately, the backup plan did not have to be used, after Chauvin was found guilty of all three counts he faced.
He was convicted of second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter and taken to Minnesota's maximum security prison Oak Park Heights.
He will be sentenced on June 25 after the court pushed it back from its initial date of June 16. He faces up to 40 years in prison.
The DOJ is now planning to indict him and the three other cops involved in Floyd's death on civil rights charges, a source told the Tribune.
The federal investigation into Floyd's death is separate to the state's case which led to Chauvin's trial and conviction last week.